Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sabbath Day in Dodowa (Day Four)

Wow, this hotel is SO nice. My dad and I had breakfast here this morning, and it was excellent. The fruit here is so much sweeter than it is in the US, since it ripens on the vine/tree instead of in a grocery store. Today I had pineapple, watermelon, and mangos for breakfast, and it was all fantastic. One thing that's kinda strange here is that the oranges aren't orange. They're green/yellow and they have a really sour, slightly salty taste.
Anyway, today we went to the LDS branch in Dodowa, which is about an hour from where we're staying. Going into the church building was stifling for Ben, Chris, my dad, and I. It was SO hot in the building. The first difference I noticed was that they sing all of their hymns a capella. They asked each of us to bear our testimonies. After sacrament meeting, the guys went to their Sunday School class and their priesthood meeting. My dad said afterwards that he kinda started dozing off in the sleep, and there was a rooster IN THE ROOM that woke him up. Convenient!

Meanwhile, I went to the youth Sunday School class and then Young Women's. I thought I'd just be able to sit back and listen, but I ended up teaching both of the lessons. That was. . . weird. But definitely a good experience. A girl who is my age, Esther, is the Young Women's president there. I could tell that she was doing an excellent job with all the responsibility. We exchanged addresses, and I got a picture with her. . . but I'm pretty sure this was right before I sneezed. . . :)

We made a few stops to check on some merry-go-rounds, had a lunch of more pineapple, then we came back to Accra. Tonight my dad and I had dinner at the hotel, which was really tasty. We actually got ice with our drinks tonight, which was HEAVEN. Sprite has never tasted so good! Love it.
I was SO happy tonight, I sent Jordy instructions for how to install Skype, so my dad and I got to see and talk to Jordy and my mom. That was SO awesome! Well, we've got a busy day tomorrow, so I'm gonna go to bed. Please comment!

3 comments:

  1. We were even happier to get to visit with you two on Skype! Your blog is so much fun to read!
    Love you,
    Mom & Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I saw a post on facebook about your blog because I'm friends with Julie Wilcox. My son is on a mission in Cape Coast Ghana. Good luck with your adventures there and if you see a blonde missionary, it may be my son, so say hello! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience you are having. Let's have our next ward party in Ghana!

    ReplyDelete